FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: WHAT DO I NEED TO GET STARTED?
A sense of adventure and common sense.
THE SPANISH BORDER ADVENTURE RIDES is are non-competitive Club rides that consists of as much dirt and the least amount of pavement as possible.
- The rides are intended for street-legal, plated, insured, quiet motorcycles that are capable of being ridden on dirt roads, two-track, jeep roads and pavement.
- Download the GPS tracks, and you have the option to use the Voice navigation and the electronic roll-chart on your phone for the loops.
- Ride with GPS club membership is included with your entry.
- We minimize pavement mileage, maximize scenery and fun, and generally only use paved roads as necessary to tie dirt loops together and access amenities.
- Any motorcycle event comes down to the rider’s skill level and the type of tires installed.
- If you have the wrong tires your skill level won’t really matter, you’ll struggle regardless. We suggest starting with NEW AGGRESSIVE TIRES.
- THE SPANISH BORDER ADV RIDES are “low-key, high adventure, no hassle” self-guided tours, using GPS Tracks to navigate an unmarked route.
- GPS Tracks and maps will be emailed 2 weeks before the rides.
Q: WHO IS INVITED:
Any Competent Rider with a street legal Dual Sport or Adventure Motorcycle.
Club Motorcycle ride IN SOUTHERN COLORADO AND NORTHERN NEW MEXICO.
SPRING ride is June 10-13
AUTUMN ride is September 17-20
Q: WHERE DOES RIDE START & FINISH:
Old Antonito High School
River Ave & 7th Street
Antonito, Colorado, 81120
Q: WHAT IS THE COST?
$399.00 to Join the Club and includes:
- ADV loops you couldn’t follow on a map.
- GPS Tracks
- Luggage Portage
- Electronic Roll-chart from RIDE WITH GPS
- Most Dinners, Breakfasts & bonfires.
- Adult Beverages included at the Rio Grande Gorge
- Ride with GPS Club Membership
- Free Coffee
- Finisher pin
- Hand Washing Stations
- Porta-Potties at the Rio Grande Gorge and at the High School
- Local support
- Your 2nd and subsequent rides in 2021 are only $199
- Your Dad, Wife or Adult Children may ride an Exit Tours MC Ride in 2021 for $199 as a Passenger or on their own motorcycle.
Q.WHEN DO THINGS START?
Sign-in opens at 4pm on Thursday.
- Sign the release, pick up your rider packet and wristband.
- We will have emailed GPS tracks and maps.
- We will have an included Dinner and a bonfire on Thursday evenings.
- BYOB on Thursday.
- Riders meeting each morning at 7 and 8 am.
- You only need attend one meeting each morning.
Q: DO I HAVE TO BE A CLUB MEMBER?
Yes. Your entry fee is your Club Membership.
- There is no qualifying or probation period to become an Exit Tours Motorcycle Club member and there are no required meetings or work days associated with your membership — just sign-up and ride!
Q: WHAT KIND OF HAZARDS EXIST?
Hazards do exist on our routes: Such as downed trees, washouts, rocks, etc. and will NOT be marked in any fashion.
- All routes are publicly-accessible, so you may encounter other riders and traffic.
- Riders need to use caution and common sense at all times and stay to the right when possible.
- Stay to the Right particularly around blind turns.
- Remember vehicles heading uphill have the right-of-way.
Q: WHAT TYPE OF MOTORCYCLE SHOULD I RIDE?
- Adventure bikes will work best.
- 6oocc + Dual Sport Motorcycles will also work well
- You should have current registration for your bike, proof of insurance.
- A GPS Unit or compatible cell phone is required to navigate the routes.
- Or ride with someone you trust.
Q: HOW LONG IS EACH DAY’S RIDE?
- Ride length varies to 180 miles.
Q: FUEL RANGE AND FUEL STOPS?
- Approximately 80 miles between fuel stops.
- Fuel will be available for purchase at gas stations along the route.
- We suggest you carry an Aluminum water bottle if you don’t have a big tank.
- We will supply several Gallons of Fuel at the Chili Line Depot.
Q: WHAT’S THE WEATHER LIKE IN JUNE and SEPTEMBER?
- IT SHOULD BE COOL & CRISP AND YOU WILL PROBABLY WANT A JACKET AND HEATED GRIPS. BUT THEN AGAIN...
Q: WHY STAGE AT THE OLD ANTONITO HIGH SCHOOL?
- Camping is included and water is available.
- Space for tent camping and truck & travel trailer and RV parking is plentiful and included.
- Showers, Restrooms and good drinking water are all available at THE OLD HIGH SCHOOL and included with your entry fee.
- Friday night we will have dinner available AND a bonfire. Bring your own adult beverages.
- Bring a cot or an air mattress ?
- We will supply Porta-Potties
Old Antonino HS Gym
Q: WHY ARE YOU GUYS DOING THIS?
- The time is right before we’re all too old to pull something like this off.
- Southern Colorado and the Northern New Mexico in the Rocky Mountains really do have Epic dirt roads, 2 track, few whoops, few ruts, high-altitude Rocky Mountain passes and spectacular scenery.
Q: HOW SHOULD I SET UP MY MOTORCYCLE?
Well, there are quite a few rocks, they are called the Rocky Mountains for a reason.
The mean elevation of Conejos County is 7,600+ feet.
- Jetting for altitude or riding something with EFI.
- We would recommend a knobby front and a hybrid rear.
- Checking your air pressure once you got here, and
- Running tire air pressure little higher than normal.
- Skid plate.
- Hand guards.
- Distance between gas stops is not expected to be much more than 80 miles.
On ADV bikes aggressive tires are a good idea. On the Autumn Ride we wouldn’t suggest trying the challenging section of Medano Pass and the sand dunes road without one.
SEE THIS LINK FOR RIDE PREP
Q: HOW CAN I GET TO THE START?
- You can tent camp, stay in the gym or classroom or stay in an RV at the old high school.
- Or stay at a hotel and ride your motorcycle to the old high school.
- Drive your truck and/or trailer to the old high school and unload there in the morning.
Q: WHERE DO WE MEET ?
- Please check-in Thursday night or Friday morning in the Gym and pick up your ride package.
- We will meet for a riders meeting at 7 am and at 8 am all mornings
- Breakfast will be available each morning.
- Dinner will be available each night.
Q: WHAT HAPPENS AT THE DAYS FINISH?
- Please check-in when you finish, so we know you are in.
- Hang out, and enjoy the bonfire, dinner , an adult beverage and the camaraderie of like-minded enthusiasts..
- **IMPORTANT** Please check-out on the sign-out sheet before you leave in the morning and check back-in when you finish.
Q: HOW DO I NAVIGATE THE ROUTE?
- This is not a guided tour; you will navigate by following GPS Tracks.
- Printed maps not suitable for navigation are only available for you to print to give you a general idea of the route.
- Maps are not suitable for navigation. Ride with someone you trust that is familiar with GPS.
- We suggest having your own GPS Unit or a compatible phone and odometer.
NAVIGATION LINK HERE: https://advtours.com/navigation-safety/
Q: WHAT IS THE BUDDY SYSTEM?
- It is what can save your life! If you were riding alone and got off the route and then got hurt, you may not be missed until the end of the day.
- For this reason we must insist that riders use the buddy system.
- Obviously 2 (or 3) riders that enter together will be buddies (4 or more should split into pairs).
- Team up with others and watch out for each other.
BUDDY RIDING PROTOCOL –
- Don’t lose sight of your buddy
- Don’t make a major turn unless you know your buddy will also
- If buddies get separated, both go back to the last place they saw each other
Q: WHAT IF I ENTER ALONE?
We prefer that you enter with at least one friend but if you do come alone, we will have a sign up sheet where you can write your cell number if you haven’t found a buddy before the ride. You should pair with another rider as your buddy. Buddies may be changed after the 1st day if not well matched.
Q: WHAT MODEL BIKE IS BEST?
- Riders could be happy with CRF250s through 690 KTM’s to 1250 BMWs.
- We Do NOT suggest KLR 650’s.
- Remember everywhere you will be riding is well over 1 mile up or higher.
- The prime considerations are comfort and reliability.
Q: WHAT ABOUT SPARE PARTS?
You should bring a reasonable amount of spare parts (like a pre-oiled air filter). We may have spare front and rear tires for sale in case someone destroys one, but most people should be able to complete the rides without changing tires.
Q: DO I NEED ANY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT TO NAVIGATE?
You should have a GPS unit or a compatible phone and an odometer.
NAVIGATION LINK HERE: https://advtours.com/navigation-safety/
Q: WHO SERVICES MY BIKE?
- You should be able to fix your own flats on the trail and service your bike at the end of the day.
- Every rider should carry a spare tube (front works in rear); tire irons, hand pump, and/or air bottles.
- You must be able to fix your bike on the trail or be towed by your buddy to a Highway where you can be picked up.
- You should be able to tow your buddy if he cannot fix his bike.
- Every rider should carry a tow strap.
Q: IS IT IMPORTANT TO CARRY A CELL PHONE?
- Yes, it’s important to carry your cell phone.
- We highly recommend the use of a satellite-operated tracking and rescue device such as a SPOT – since you will often be out of cell phone range.
- A Spot Find-me is an inexpensive investment that can save your life.
Q: DOES THE RIDE INCLUDE ANY HEALTHCARE COVERAGE?
No, it does not. We highly recommend you obtain appropriate healthcare insurance before participating in any rides.
Q: WILL THERE BE OUTRIDERS?
- There may be Outriders if you need a shortcut to the finish or have questions along the way.
- Outriders will ‘Point’ the way.
- But they should NOT be considered “sweep” riders or ‘Guides’:
- They are not medics, will not be available to fix bikes or change flats, nor will they have extra parts.
- If you get stranded on any loop, we will of course do whatever we can to bail you out.
Q: WHAT IS THE REFUND POLICY?
- There will be No Refunds.
- A Friend may take your place.
- You may transfer your club membership to another rider
If Exit Tours Motorcycle Club cancels a ride we will make all attempts to provide an equivalent ride on an alternate date. If we do this then your prepaid shared group expense payment may be transferred to the new ride date, or if you cannot attend the new date, a 100% refund for shared group expenses will apply less PayPal Fees.
Our rides are all-weather. If two or more riders participate the ride will not be cancelled, regardless of weather conditions, and refunds will not be given. Nor will they be transferred to another ride or rider.
Q: WHERE WILL I GET GAS and WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- You will need Cash or a CC to buy your gas at the gas stations and meals on the loop
Old School Honda ADV Rider
Exit Tours Motorcycle Club rides are not competitions, nor are trophies awarded.
All participants are on their own, riding at their own pace, at their own risk, and always have the option to follow the designated route or to follow another route of their choosing.